FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 9, 2018
Los Angeles Leather Pride 2018 A Huge Success
Los Angeles Leather Pride 2018 named most successfully diverse year to date and Sashes Ben Kaufher as the new Mr. LA Leather.
Los Angeles, CA, April 9, 2018 – The Los Angeles Leather Coalition (LALC), recently held its 19th Annual Los Angeles Leather Pride (LALP) from March 18 to 25, 2018, its annual fundraising and community social gathering. The week-long festival attracted the attention of local and national media outlets, and attendees from all over California, the US, as well as many international visitors. Highlights from the week-long festival included:
- The LALP Kick-Off on Sun, 18 March, hosted by ONYX-Southwest at Eagle 562, in Long Beach, CA.
- LA LA Leather Opus 2on Mon, March 19th, hosted by Bears LA at MCC in the Valley, in North Hollywood, CA. This is a recently new addition to the event line-up as LA’s version of the famous “Classic Meets Fetish” Concert held in Berlin, GE.
- D.I.V.E.R.city LA on Tue, March 20th hosted by ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives at Plummer Park in West Hollywood, CA. This was a new event that celebrated LA’s Diversity with a public discussion panel on inclusion, which was streamed live via social media.
- The LALP VIP Reception on Wed, March 21st at the Abbey in West Hollywood, CA.
- The Mr. LA Leather 2018 Contestant Meet & Greet / Roast of Jeff Wilcox, Mr. LA Leather 2017 on Thur March 22 at the Precinct in Downtown Los Angeles, CA.
- The Assembly (Uniform Reception) on Fri, March 22nd at Rough Trade Gear in Silver Lake (Los Angeles), CA.
- The 19th Annual Mr. LA Leather Contest on Sat, March 24th at the Historic Globe Theater in Downtown Los Angeles, CA.
- The 6th Annual Off Sunset Street Fair on Sun, March 25th in Silver Lake (Los Angeles), CA.
At the Mr. LA Leather Contest, 11 men representing local bars, clubs and organizations competed for the coveted title of Mr. LA Leather 2018. Previous year title holders placed the title on the national and international stage, making the LA Leather Community one that is seen as a trail blazer and vocal advocate for the greater LBGTQI Community. This year’s contest was opened by Pup Dazzle, LA Pup 2017 giving a stunning rendition of the National Anthem accompanied by a color guard with flags provided by the Visibility Project. The Los Angeles Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence were also on hand to not only give their blessing at the opening of the contest, but they performed Andra Day’s “Stand Up for Something” with the assistance of members of the local leather community; their blessing moved the entire Globe Theater to their feet as they addressed many issues facing our community. The top 3 winners of this year’s Mr. LA Leather Contest are as follows:
- Ben Kaufher, Mr. LA Leather 2018, who competed as Mr. LA Leather Bear 2018, representing Bears LA. Ben was also awarded with the Bob Tomasino Brotherhood Award.
- Spike, Mr. LA Leather 2018 1st Runner-Up, who competed as Mr. Precinct Leather 2018, representing Precinct Rock & Roll Bar, located in Downtown Los Angeles, CA.
- Pup Yoshi, Mr. LA Leather 2018 2nd Runner-Up, who competed as Mr. Eagle 562 Leather 2018, representing Eagle 562, located in Long Beach, CA.
This year truly made history as being the most diverse on many fronts, such as the types of events provided throughout the week (produced by the Los Angeles Leather Coalition, with collaboration with its 26 Community Partners), the Contestants, and the Judging panel. Bios on these amazing members of the community, who participated in the success of this contest, can be found here. A unique aspect of LALP is that all the judges are nominated and elected by the LA Leather Community, giving everyone a voice at the table.
The Los Angeles Leather Pride Planning Committee is truly honored to have strong community support for this year’s festivities. Sponsors for Los Angeles Leather Pride 2018 include:
- Folsom Street Events
- Rough Trade Gear
- Palm Springs Leather Pride
- Off Sunset Festival
- Bears LA
- Eagle 562
- Motorboot Photography
- ONYX – Southwest
- Jeffrey Erdman Attorney At Law
- 665 Leather
- Den LA
- Big Bear Romp
- Jonathan A. Wright Attorney At Law
- OX BALLS, USA
- AVATAR LA
- Chaps Inn, Palm Springs
- Jameson Turner
- Hamburger Mary’s Ontario
- Spunk Lube
- ONE National Gay & Lesbian Archives Foundation at USC
- The Abbey Food & Bar
- Los Angeles Band of Brothers
- Precinct Rock & Roll Gay Bar DTLA
- Where The Bears Are
- Bullet Bar
- Faultline Bar
- The Trophy Guy LA
- Bearfoot Inn, Palm Springs
- Regiment of the Black & Tans
- LA Pride
- Bearwood Apparel
- Green Mirror Entertainment
- Mr. SoCal Leather
- Big Studio
- Sanctuary Studios LAX
- Kilted Bros.
- Andrew Christian
- Palm Springs Piercing Company
The Mr. LA Leather Contest in its present form dates back to 2000 as a regional title, representing the Los Angeles Leather/BDSM Community. This year we were proud to have (11) local qualifying contests who each sent a contestant to compete for Mr. LA Leather 2018. Each of these “feeder” contests are produced by businesses and organizations from all over Los Angeles County, which demonstrates the diversity of the Greater Los Angeles leather community. The winner of Mr. Los Angeles Leather 2018 will go on to represent the Los Angeles region at the International Mr. Leather 2018 Contest in Chicago, IL over Memorial Day Weekend. The 1st Runner-Up has the option to represent Los Angeles at American Brotherhood Weekend, also in Chicago, later in the fall.
Planning for the 20th Anniversary Celebration, Los Angeles Leather Pride 2019 is currently underway and is being scheduled for March 24-31, 2019. Be sure to check out the Official LALP Website www.losangelesleatherpride.com for updates, information, full event schedule, etc. Also available is the Official LALP Smartphone App – available free for both Apple and Android devices in the respective app stores. Follow LALP on Social Media (www.fb.com/LALeather and @LALeatherPride on both Twitter and Instagram).
The Los Angeles Leather Coalition (LALC) is a non-profit 501(c)4 organization which facilitates communications and mutual understanding among different segments of the leather-affiliated community, as well as promotes unity through cooperative endeavors that offer entertainment, education, social interaction, and community service.# # #
If you would like more information about this event and/or the LALC, please contact Apolonio “Señor Apple” E. Muñoz III at (323) 553-1236 or email at email@example.com.